With Permanent Residence in Thailand the foreigners can live permanently in Thailand, with no requirement to apply for an extension of temporary stay. If they meet the following criteria:
1. Holds a passport of his/her current nationality, which was granted a Non-Immigrant visa and the individual has been permitted to stay in Thailand for at least 3 consecutive years on a 1-year visa extension basis up to the application submission date.
2. Has personal qualifications that meet one or more of the following categories:
1) Investment category (minimum 3 - 10 Million Baht investment in Thailand)
2) Working/ Business category
3) Support a family or Humanity Reasons category: He/she must have relationship with a Thai citizen or an alien who already possesses a residence permit as the followings:
4) Expert / academics category
5) Other categories
The Thai Immigration Bureau has quotas for all expatriates applying for residence permit at 100 persons per nationality. The Immigration Commission has the power to define all regulations concerning permanent residency. The Immigration Bureau is the agency that handles all procedures concerning permanent residency applications.
A permanent resident has the privileges as following:
How to Apply for Thai Residency?
Tila legal will assist you to prepare all documents required, we suggest you to prepare those documents 1-4 months prior to the open date for submit the application which is normally once a year in December. Basically once the date is announced, the applications can be submitted until the last working day of the year.
Once the application date is announced Tila will submit your application along with all documents required to the Thai Immigration Bureau. The result of the application will normally be announced in May and the residence permits will be issued in December. Thai residency permit will never expire, except it has been revoked. However, if you plan to leave the country, you need to apply for re-entry permit. After you live in Thailand for FIVE consecutive years with permanent residence permit, you will be eligible for applying for Thai citizenship.
After your application has been approved then a residence blue book is issued to the foreigner. The foreign resident must register the place of residence in Thailand at the local district office and obtain a house card. 7 days after receipt of the residence certificate you then apply for an alien book (red book) at the local police station.
Application for a residence permit
Approval of a residence permit (payable on receipt of residence book)
Approval of a residence permit (payable on receipt of residence book) for a foreigner married to a Thai, the spouse of a resident, and any of their children who have not reached the status of a Thai juristic person (i.e., unmarried children aged below 20 years)